a serial response to Sex and the Single Girl (1962) by Helen Gurley Brown

A blog with the name "Pies Men Like" was bound to meet up wtih this book sooner or later. I have known about SSG for years - dating to surreptitious peeking at Cosmo in high school - and as a lover of early- and mid-twentieth-century advice manuals for girls and women, I'm glad I finally have my hands on one of the masterpieces. My interest was recently re-piqued by an old episode of This American Life in which they played part of an LP by Helen Gurley Brown. She said she had too much material to fit in SSG and so put out the record to continue the good work. The segment they played was advice for men on how to have an affair and included "don't drink all your girl's booze" and "don't let her spend her birthday alone, even if you have to lie like heck to get out of your house to do it." I mean, that's how you should treat any person in general - that's just being kind (except for the part with lying).

So far I am so enchanted with the book that I keep hopping from bit to bit, plucking pearls of wisdom as I go. But I need to settle down and do an organized, thought-out response. So I shall, a chapter at a time.

This SG is tired enough to be unable to go beyond a page or two tonight, so let's take a look at the table of contents.
1. WOMEN ALONE? OH COME NOW!
2. THE AVAILABLES: THE MEN IN YOUR LIFE
3. WHERE TO MEET THEM
4. HOW TO BE SEXY
5. NINE TO FIVE
6. MONEY MONEY MONEY
7. THE APARTMENT
8. THE CARE AND FEEDING OF EVERYBODY
9. THE SHAPE YOU'RE IN
10. THE WARDROBE
11. KISS AND MAKE-UP
12. THE AFFAIR: FROM BEGINNING TO END
13. THE RICH, FULL LIFE


We won't get there for awhile, so you should know now that chapter 8 does indeed have recipes in it. If it has a pie, I will flip out. That pie would have to be an absolutely foolproof man trap, if both food editors and HGB decree it attractive to men. [flips through book] There is! There is pie! It's in a set of recipes for a dinner "for him" and is called chocolate angel pie. This throws off the whole fruit filling theory, but still. Pie! Damn.

I rambled about other stuff too. Wanna see?

April 2004 May 2004 June 2004 July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 May 2006 June 2006 August 2006 October 2006 December 2006 February 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 September 2007 July 2008

projects, friends, etc.

  • I love Bollywood so much that I made a separate blog for it.
  • remember when I went to Australia?
  • when you take grad school too much to heart re: literature
  • when you take grad school too much to heart re: travels
  • The Trophy Wife
  • rock and roll lifestyle
  • Why God Why
  • Technically not a friend, as not a human, but still a place I love very much, so it counts: Massey College
  • credits

  • Blog design is based largely on Not That Ugly with some ideas from Firdamatic with some additional tweaking
  • Flickr rocks! Really.
  • Hurrah for Blogger
  • And for folks trying to library-ize blogs: Blogwise and Blogarama
  • Sorry this looks like poo in Firefox. I've no idea why.